Surely more than once you’ve heard of the benefits that protein brings to our muscle mass, right? And it is the essential nutrient that will help you define the muscles and get, thus, a more toned and fibrates silhouette. The truth is that with food we already take proteins but, if you want a stronger body, it is usually advisable to add a protein supplement that will help you improve your results. In this article we want to help you build the body you have always wanted to have and, therefore, here we discover what the best protein to gain muscle is. Keep reading and you will discover how to include this supplement to your day to day and get more visible results in less time.
Benefits of protein to gain muscle
Consuming protein supplements can help you increase muscle mass. But it is important to highlight something: it is not a “magic remedy” but it is a complement to your healthy and sporty life. Therefore, it is essential that you follow a balanced and low-fat diet, as well as the usual practice of physical exercise that includes both cardio and toning.
We have to consider that the protein taken externally is a complement, an addition to your healthy and active life. Only taking this product will not get results, what it does is help you define and tone more visibly and quickly than doing it in the normal way.
The best proteins: soy, egg and whey
If you want to know which is the best protein to gain muscle you have to keep in mind that there are three that are very popular: soy, egg and whey. Especially the latter is one of the most successful because milk has a great biological value.
However, each person is a world and, when choosing the best protein, it is recommended that factors such as those indicated below be taken into account:
- Type of protein:as we have said, the most recommended are those that come from soy, whey and egg. All of them give you a lot of protein and nutrients. However, milk is the most popular since 90% of people opt for this variety.
- Nutritional contribution:another important aspect that you have to assess when buying your protein supplement is its nutritional contribution. In addition to protein, you have to see the values of carbohydrates and other substances that may include. A note: if they have creatine it is a good option because it is the second most recommended supplement to increase muscles.
- Taste: keep in mind that most of these supplements are seasoned with specific flavors to facilitate your intake. It is important that you choose a flavor that you like so that you do not end up leaving your shot. Normally, athletes always start taking the one that tastes like chocolate because it is more pleasant.
How to take protein to increase muscle mass fast
Now that you know what the best protein to gain muscle is, let’s find out how you can introduce it to your diet. There are some basic aspects that you have to know in order for this nutritional supplement to be healthy and help you increase your muscles. Here we discover them.
Recommended daily grams of protein
In order to define and increase your muscle mass, it is recommended to consume between 0.5 to 2 grams of protein for every kilo of your weight. That is, if you weigh 60 kilos you will need a maximum of 120 grams of pure protein in your diet every day! It is a difficult amount to achieve only with food and, therefore, many athletes include these supplements to get stronger muscles.
Protein shake, your best ally
One of the best ways you have to take the best protein to gain muscle is by preparing shakes. Normally, these supplements come in the form of powders and, therefore, can be dissolved perfectly with water or skim milk. These shakes should not contain more than 30 grams of protein because our body cannot assimilate a greater amount in a single shot. If you want to drink more than 1 shake a day, it is best to let at least 3 hours pass between each one.
When to take protein shakes
One of the best times of the day to take protein to gain muscle is in the 30 minutes after your workout. At this time it is when your body is in hypertrophy and, therefore, assimilates much better the proteins that you introduce into the body. But if you want to drink 2 shakes a day, then the first one can be taken first thing in the morning, accompanying your breakfast.
Why can’t you increase muscle mass?
There are many people who, having a healthy diet and practicing exercise on a regular basis, fail to tone their body. Why? There are some factors that can lead to not increasing muscle mass and, therefore, do not experience physical changes in your body. Here we discover some frequent mistakes that are made and that prevent strengthening and increasing the muscles.
- You eat very little: although it is important to take care of food and reduce fat consumption, we have to give our body the calories it needs to train. If we want to muscle the body, we have to avoid diets that are too low in calories because, with them, you will not allow the body to increase. You don’t need to eat more than you need, but neither do you opt for diets of 1000 or 1200 calories.
- You eat many times: itis clear that distributing food intake throughout the day is a very healthy habit. However, we do not have to eat 8 times a day, it is recommended to eat about 5 or 6 times in small portions and always taking into account the time of day we eat. Remember: at night, no fruits or carbohydrates, bet on proteins or vegetables to avoid the accumulation of sugars.
- Too many healthy fats:in a healthy and sporty diet it is advisable to take healthy fats as they help muscle formation and the proper functioning of the cardiovascular system. However, we should not overdo it with its consumption because, after all, they are very caloric and fat-rich foods.
- You do not take enough protein:as we have already told you, in order to increase muscle mass it is important to take protein. And, with food, many times we fall short. Therefore it is advisable to include more protein in your diet and, in addition, you can opt for these protein supplements that will help you meet your needs.
- You don’t train with cardio: many people fall into the error of neglecting cardio when they want to gain muscle. But that is a mistake. The ideal training is one that combines toning and cardio exercises. In fact, it is recommended to include about 15 or 20 minutes of thistle to get fat burning without losing muscle.
- Muscle hydration: and, finally, you have to know that water is essential in your diet. It is essential that you drink 2 liters a day to get your muscles well hydrated and, therefore, can tone. But you also should not exceed this amount because, otherwise, you could retain liquids.
Foods to increase muscle mass quickly
And finally, now that you know that the best protein to gain muscle is that which comes from soy, milk or egg, we will give you some guidelines for your diet. As we have indicated at the beginning of the article, protein is a supplement, an addition to your healthy life. To get strong and defined muscles it is important that you do sports and that you also follow a correct diet. It is essential to reduce saturated and Trans fat in your diet and, failing that, opt for nutritious and healthy foods.
Here we will discover what foods you should include in your diet and which ones are best avoided. In this way, you can design the best menu for you and for the needs of your body.
Foods to gain muscle
- Animal protein:especially, from lean meats (chicken, turkey and rabbit) since they are the lowest in fat and with a high level of protein. Fish is also recommended, especially blue as it provides good fats and Omega 3.
- Eggs: it is one of the most complete and recommended foods for people who want to gain more muscle. It has a large proportion of protein and few fats.
- Yogurt: it is a prebiotic food that will help you reduce abdominal swelling and give you a large dose of protein.
- Legumes: it is a star food for athletes because it gives us 50% protein and 50% carbohydrates.
- Oatmeal: it is ideal for athletes because it provides energy, fiber and vegetable protein. It is very rich in carbohydrates, so it is recommended to consume early in the day or before training.
- Fruits and vegetables: they are essential for a diet since they will provide us with very healthy nutrients, hydration and few calories.
Foods to avoid
- Alcohol: it is the first thing that will be taken away whenever you want to take care of your body. Alcohol gives you empty calories and carbohydrates that will increase your body fat.
- Sweet and sugary
- Refined foods(white bread, white pasta, white rice, etc.)
- Fatty sausages(you can eat serrano ham, turkey and 0% cheese but avoid chorizo, sausage, )
- Fruit juices and soft drinks: they are very rich in sugars and saturated fats
- Fried and battered