Strength is the basis of any training. No matter what sport you practice or if you only go to the gym to get more muscle mass, if you do not work the strength you will be stuck and you will not get the results you are looking for. To train the force you must forget the series with many repetitions and focus on raising your maximum, although you should not limit yourself to improving your record every day. Therefore, in a How we are going to teach you how to do strength training.
Steps to follow:
1. As usual, the first thing you need is a solid base from which to start. Therefore, for the first weeks we recommend the 5×5 method, one of the easiest strength routines to follow. His own name reveals how it works: five sets of five repetitions. It is usually made up of three exercises, the bench press, the squats and the deadlift, although you can add others such as the standing military press.
- To do squats, simply load the bar over your shoulders and lower, bending your legs, to form a 90 degree angle. Control the descent, go up and try to keep your back straight and your heels on the floor.
- The deadliftconsists of lifting the bar from the floor to the waist by bending the knees minimally. Again, the back should be straight.
- The bench pressis one of the best known gym exercises. Lying on your back on the bench, you should be able to lower the bar to your chest and go back up to the starting position, with your arms fully extended.
- The military pressis a similar exercise that stands up. You should be able to raise the bar from the shoulders above the head, with the arms fully extended. It can be done in front or behind.
2. More advanced strength training is the 5/3/1 method that Jim Wendler invented, which as in the previous case is based on bench press, squat, deadlift and military press. It is divided into cycles of four weeks, three of load and one of descent; We can train three or four days a week, focusing every day on a specific exercise and start working calculating the weight with 90% of our maximum. This method is very effective, although patience is needed and it starts with somewhat light weights.
3. In the first week, we will do three sets of five repetitions at 65, 75 and 85% of our capacity. In the last series, the ideal is to try to do all the repetitions you can. The second week do three sets of three repetitions at 70, 80 and 90% respectively. Again, lengthen the last set to the maximum possible repetitions. The third week do a series of five repetitions at 75%, one from three to 85% and the final, all the repetitions you can at 95%.
We finish with the fourth week, the descent, you must do three sets of five repetitions at 40, 50 and 60% respectively. In this case, it is very important that you respect the five repetitions of the last series to get rested to the new cycle. You should add about 5 kg to your maximum squat and deadlift weight, and 2.5 kg to the bench press and standing military press. As you complete cycles, you will notice how you gain strength.
4. In addition to performing this strength training, it will be important that to achieve the expected results in less time
- Before you start training, warm up well. Jumping rope will help increase the heart rate.
- Get enough rest between series and series. Two or three minutes is usually enough.
- Respect the weights. Strength training has no immediate effects, and you have to gain weight little by little.
- Do not train strength more than two days in a row. You can get injured.
- Pay attention to the technique. As you gain weight, it is more important to complete the series and avoid injuries.
- Do not forget to complete the training with complementary exercises such as funds, chin ups, press, leg lifts, good morning or abdominals.
- Following a good diet and respecting rest days will help you gain strength.