‘To whom early in the morning God helps.’ It is one of the most popular sayings of the Spanish proverb, but in addition, it is not without reason.
There are few advantages for the human being the fact of getting up early while for the majority of the population the mere fact of setting the alarm clock to sound before 8 in the morning is already an ordeal. Does everything we don’t like always have to be good? Indeed, not everything, although in this case we regret to confirm that yes: getting up early brings a series of benefits in our physical and mental state that it is worth knowing. And maybe once you know them, it costs you a little less to stop the alarm. Biology stuff.
To the saying of “not getting up early rises earlier “, the dwarves grow. And it is that according to science, it is precisely when the sun rises when it turns out to be the optimal time to get up. But what happens with the sunrise? Well, on a physical level it is the moment when the secretion of melatonin ceases and our blood pressure increases. In addition, they also increase body temperature, glucose and that is when cortisol has its highest peak.
According to research conducted by the University of Toronto, in Canada, and published in Emotion, the journal of the American Psychological Association, people who get up early – those already known as morningophiles – tend to be happier , since our mind is more clear, calmer and we have better time control to face what can happen during the day.
Biologically, our body prepares for a new day from which, early in the morning, you will get:
- Taking things more calmly: when you get up early, you have more time for yourself, to think and organize the day.
- Enjoy the silence: generally the first hours of the day are also the quietest. It is a moment of peace that allows us to feel good because there is less noise.
- Breakfast calmly: the most important meal of the day is one of the fastest we make from Monday to Friday. The mere fact of getting up early allows us to have more time to devote to breakfast, which we will also take forward since our stomach has also “woken up”.
- Exercise: morning practices such as yoga or running help us to activate our body and start the day mentally and physically more balanced. In addition, exercising in the morning speeds up the metabolism and sharpens mental agility.
- And in practice: save you traffic jams. If all your morning routine is advanced: exercise, shower, breakfast, etc., you can also make your arrival at the office, where in addition to saving the odd traffic jam, you will also be more productive because you will be more clear.