Choosing the weight of the dumbbells is a key decision that will determine the effectiveness of the exercises you do with these tools that can help you achieve the goals you have planned in your workouts. You yourself must determine if some dumbbells have the right weight, starting to work with them and assessing if they fall short for your needs, or they suppose an excessive load that even prevents you from executing the exercises. In this article we offer you a series of tips on how to choose the weight of the dumbbells.
Steps to follow:
1. The execution of the exercises with dumbbells is the one that will allow you to decide if you have made a mistake when choosing the weight of the dumbbells. Specifically, you will know if they are very heavy in case you are forced to stop training because you cannot hold the dumbbells. In this case, you should choose to reduce the weight to avoid overloading the muscles or even injuring yourself.
2. You can also make a mistake for the opposite reason, that is, because they are not heavy enough for your body structure and your fitness, so that they do not constitute a considerable help when developing the muscles you want to strengthen.
Simply by lifting the dumbbells you will already notice that they are too light if you do not find it difficult to adopt the position to start the exercise. In any case, it is always preferable that you fall short and can increase the weight.
3. You must take into account when choosing the weight of the dumbbells that the ideal figure will be different depending on the type of exercise you want to perform. Thus, you will need more load in the event that the training involves the work of several muscle groups at the same time, for the obvious reason that it is more muscles that are carrying the weight.
4. In addition, your needs will increase over time as you progress with your workouts. In this way, you will not always need the same dumbbell weight as this would mean stagnation.
5. You can do a very simple test to choose the weight of the dumbbells. Hold one with your left hand if you are right handed or with your right hand if you are left handed. Now, do a simple exercise like doing 15 side lifts?
An adequate weight will cause the effort to begin to notice from the execution number 10. If the problems have appeared before, it is that the dumbbells are too heavy and, on the contrary, if they arrived later or, simply, it has not cost you effort, the dumbbells are very light.
Do not disregard the importance of choosing an appropriate weight of the dumbbells, since it is a basic feature of this tool that so many benefits can bring you in your workouts.